konstant at mail2tor.com (konstant at mail2tor.com):
> To give some background, I had an interesting discussion on ways of
> reaching Freenet from other networks. Onioncat creates a p2p VPN overlay
> for tunnelling TCP, UDP, ICMP or any other protocol over Tor and I2P.
> Freenet can communicate over it. This works for Darknet mode and hopefully
> Opennet once some seednodes get going. I'll focus on Tor because of better
> performance. IRC is not a good medium for sharing steps so I'll do it
> here.

<snip>

Before finding this thread (via doublec's blog) I had taken a different
approach to using Freenet via Tor. I focused first on connecting with
opennet peers without revealing the node's public IP address.

The node is a VirtualBox VM with no public IP address. It has no
Internet connectivity except through the tor daemon, which is running in
another VM. The node reaches the Internet through an anonymously-leased
VPS as a proxy. There's a p2p OpenVPN link (10.10.0.1 10.10.0.2) with
the proxy via OnionCat.

I used "node.bindTo=0.0.0.0" and "node.opennet.bindTo=0.0.0.0", and the
OnionCat IPv6 address for "node.ipAddressOverride". The "physical.udp"
in the node reference for strangers points to the IP public address of
the proxy. In the node reference for friends, "physical.udp" points to
all local IP addresses. That's not problematic, because the node has no
public IP address.

With appropriate NAT and routing, the node connects with about ten
opennet strangers from seednodes. Other darknet peers connected via
OnionCat can browse opennet sites.

Although the proxy VPS can be identified through opennet peers, it
neither retains any content nor knows the public IP address of the
actual node. Traffic between the proxy and node is routed through
OnionCat, and secured via OpenVPN.

If there's interest, I'd be happy to set this up as a seednode, both on
OnionCat and the open Internet.