> On 21 Sep 2016, at 10:28, Denis Gervalle <d...@softec.lu> wrote:
>
> Hi Vincent,
> Regarding the improvements to avoid absolute references, and increasing our
> ability to relocate application, this is a big +1, since it would be already
> helpful during refactoring of existing code, to avoid trivial breakage.
> Now, about the idea of installing an extension multiple time in the same
> wiki, I am not sure the benefits really outweighs the inconveniences, and a
> first step IMO would be to evaluate that. In particular, what is the benefit
> of having the exact same application code multiple times compared to having
> that code in a central place but using data in several space, and being
> simply visible in those specified spaces. My first reaction is that
> duplicating code looks like breaking good practices.
> wdyt ?

I see at least 3 advantages:
* The application doesn’t need extra development work to support being used
from several locations. See the existing apps. Almost none support multiple
usage inside a given wiki. If they could be installed in several places
suddenly this makes it possible. Actually this is similar to apps being
installed in several wikis. It’s also code duplication.
* The users get the UI in different places (i.e. in situ) and they don’t need
to navigate to a central location to use the app.
* This allows to upgrade the apps used in several places independently from one
another

So the question you ask can be asked at the wiki level too since it’s also code
duplication. The idea here is to be able to do the same but inside one wiki.
Technically, XWiki could have implemented what it did at the level of subwiki
as spaces and I think it’s a nice direction to increase what XWiki can do at
the level of spaces (right now, see
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/WikiVsNestedPages).

Note that I’m not saying that apps should be developed to support being used at
multiple locations. I’m saying that in the same way as we can install apps in
several wikis, I see no major reason to not be able to do at the level of
spaces.

But that’s the point of this brainstorming: see if there’s value in this or
not. I see some value.

What about others?