On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Guillaume Delhumeau <
guillaume.delhum...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> Hi

> > Hi Guillaume,
> >
> > > On 10 Oct 2016, at 16:43, Guillaume Delhumeau <
> > guillaume.delhum...@xwiki.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello.
> > >
> > > In Flamingo, we have a variable called $displayPageHeader, defined in
> > > layoutvars.vm.
> > >
> > > When it is set, the logo is not displayed in the top menu, but on a
> > header
> > > under it. It is used by some clients, where they could also add some
> > extra
> > > content.
> >
> > hmmm… I’m wondering if this is the best way.
> >
> > We already a UIXP for page header so if some users want a custom header
> > they can already do so. I don’t think it belongs to the theme.
> >

> Indeed, adding content by modifying the header is not the best way.
>
> Anyway, I think it is still useful to have this option. In the header, the
> user have the ability to display a bigger logo for example, and a
> background corresponding to its visual identity. And it's easier than
> creating a UIX for this.
>
> Since Caty has created the issue http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-13160,
> maybe she has some example to show us.

We have this variable for backwards compatibility reasons, since in Colibri
the logo was not in the navbar, but in the header area (+ also had
different header colors depending on the color theme).
Some users (especially those that upgrade from Colibri skin) prefer:
- to have the logo in the header area or
- provide multiple logos (for subwikis) or
- have a logo and a background-image as header, etc.

I created the issue because there was a bug with the setting of the value.

Now the exposure in the Theme Editor was mostly a suggestion. The main
problem is determining how advanced this usecase is and how used/needed it
is.

Currently I don't think is very needed since we didn't had someone creating
an issue and requesting to change this from the Theme (as a normal user).
But fixing the bug and making sure developers can change this is needed.

Regarding the UIXP, the value of displayPageHeader is still needed, since
if you add a custom header that contains the logo, you might want to
disable the current logo from navbar. This variable controls that.

So, although I suggested to add it to the Editor, I am not sure about this:
because we should expose mostly the recommended/default values (not
compatibility ones); the use case is kind of limited, but should be changed
by a developer; it will increase the testing time / values in order to
support the use case.

Thanks,
Caty