Hi Clement,

> On 8 Aug 2017, at 10:03, Clément Aubin <clement.au...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> Hi devs !
>
> So, about a month ago, Guillaume Delhumeau started this thread in order
> to determine how we could implement the "in-context" switches of the
> notification center. For those who don’t want to read the original mail,
> it’s about moving the current watchlist mechanism inside of the
> notification center (and by "moving", I mean "rewriting it in a more
> scalable and performant way").
>
> We talked a lot about how those switches should act if a user is
> subscribed to the page he’s on, or if he is subscribed to a parent page.
> Today, with Guillaume, we managed to implement exclusive notification
> filters that allows us to reproduce the comportment of the current
> watchlist ; so this subject is somehow resolved.
>
> But, we didn’t talked about how the "in-context" switches should look
> like in practice. Here is what we proposed at the time :
>
>>   - In each page, add a button to subscribe to the current location:
>>   https://pasteboard.co/GAqEi6M.png (thanks Caty for the mockup)
>
> With this solution, this would mean removing the current watchlist
> indicators present in the notification tray
> (https://pasteboard.co/GEFyXkR.png).
>
> What do you think ? Should we keep using those switches or moving them
> in the breadcrumb ?
>
> Here is my point of view :
>
> The alert bell in the breadcrumb looks more modern that the toggles that
> we currently have for the watchlist but we have to add a new UIX for the
> breadcrumb if we want to do that.
>
> Therefore, if we keep the same kind of switches in the notification
> tray, maybe we could profit from this occasion to make them more modern.

Thanks for asking. Here’s my POV:

* I would really like that we don’t add an additional visual cue to the UI.
We’re already too crowded and we’re trying to reduce the clutter and make it as
lean as possible.
* In addition having 2 bells makes it even more complex to understand what is
doing what for a new user.
* I don’t think that users need to know at every moment if the current page is
being watched or not. I feel it’s perfectly acceptable if this info is hidden
under one click as it is now in the Alert zone in the top nav bar.
* The on/off bell idea only allows 2 states but doesn’t allow choices such as:
watching only this page, watching page + children or watching the current wiki.

So I’d really like that we find a solution that doesn’t involve adding a new UI
element.

For me the current solution with the 3 switches in the Alert zone is good and
has the big advantage of not introducing a new UI element.