> On 8 Aug 2017, at 10:54, Clément Aubin <clement.au...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>
> On 08/08/2017 10:09 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi Clement,
>>
>>> On 8 Aug 2017, at 10:03, Clément Aubin <clement.au...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi devs !
>>>
>>> So, about a month ago, Guillaume Delhumeau started this thread in order
>>> to determine how we could implement the "in-context" switches of the
>>> notification center. For those who don’t want to read the original mail,
>>> it’s about moving the current watchlist mechanism inside of the
>>> notification center (and by "moving", I mean "rewriting it in a more
>>> scalable and performant way").
>>>
>>> We talked a lot about how those switches should act if a user is
>>> subscribed to the page he’s on, or if he is subscribed to a parent page.
>>> Today, with Guillaume, we managed to implement exclusive notification
>>> filters that allows us to reproduce the comportment of the current
>>> watchlist ; so this subject is somehow resolved.
>>>
>>> But, we didn’t talked about how the "in-context" switches should look
>>> like in practice. Here is what we proposed at the time :

>>> With this solution, this would mean removing the current watchlist
>>> indicators present in the notification tray
>>> (https://pasteboard.co/GEFyXkR.png).
>>>
>>> What do you think ? Should we keep using those switches or moving them
>>> in the breadcrumb ?
>>>
>>> Here is my point of view :
>>>
>>> The alert bell in the breadcrumb looks more modern that the toggles that
>>> we currently have for the watchlist but we have to add a new UIX for the
>>> breadcrumb if we want to do that.
>>>
>>> Therefore, if we keep the same kind of switches in the notification
>>> tray, maybe we could profit from this occasion to make them more modern.
>>
>> Thanks for asking. Here’s my POV:
>>
>> * I would really like that we don’t add an additional visual cue to the UI.
>> We’re already too crowded and we’re trying to reduce the clutter and make it
>> as lean as possible.
>
> I do agree that the UI is a bit crowded, but the idea would be to move
> the switches of the watchlist in one single bell, so in the end, we gain
> one icon and we loose 3 switches.

The idea is not to remove features; it doesn’t matter if we have more features
provided the UI you see at all instant is not more complex.

Gaining one icon that’s 100% visible all the time is a big UI clutter and it’s
definitely not the same as 3 switches behind a menu/button.

If you prefer the bell UI, I’m fine with having something similar in the Alert
zone too but I think it’s less explicit and more magical and that you’d be
reducing the usability a bit by doing so.

>> * In addition having 2 bells makes it even more complex to understand what
>> is doing what for a new user.
>
> I don’t get what you mean, the idea was to have one bell that changes
> regarding the context (the idea came from what YouTube does, see
> https://pasteboard.co/GEFTyTe.png and https://pasteboard.co/GEFTOzJ.png).

How do you name the icon in the top bar that represents the Alert zone? (what
does it represent?) :)

>> * I don’t think that users need to know at every moment if the current page
>> is being watched or not. I feel it’s perfectly acceptable if this info is
>> hidden under one click as it is now in the Alert zone in the top nav bar.
>
> I agree.
>
>> * The on/off bell idea only allows 2 states but doesn’t allow choices such
>> as: watching only this page, watching page + children or watching the
>> current wiki.
>
> We could display the watch parameters when the user is hovering the bell.

Less explicit. A bit magical but possible. You’d need 3 different icons
representing the 3 states though.