On 08/08/2017 10:09 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> Hi Clement,
>
>> On 8 Aug 2017, at 10:03, Clément Aubin <clement.au...@xwiki.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi devs !
>>
>> So, about a month ago, Guillaume Delhumeau started this thread in order
>> to determine how we could implement the "in-context" switches of the
>> notification center. For those who don’t want to read the original mail,
>> it’s about moving the current watchlist mechanism inside of the
>> notification center (and by "moving", I mean "rewriting it in a more
>> scalable and performant way").
>>
>> We talked a lot about how those switches should act if a user is
>> subscribed to the page he’s on, or if he is subscribed to a parent page.
>> Today, with Guillaume, we managed to implement exclusive notification
>> filters that allows us to reproduce the comportment of the current
>> watchlist ; so this subject is somehow resolved.
>>
>> But, we didn’t talked about how the "in-context" switches should look
>> like in practice. Here is what we proposed at the time :
>>
>>>   - In each page, add a button to subscribe to the current location:
>>>   https://pasteboard.co/GAqEi6M.png (thanks Caty for the mockup)
>>
>> With this solution, this would mean removing the current watchlist
>> indicators present in the notification tray
>> (https://pasteboard.co/GEFyXkR.png).
>>
>> What do you think ? Should we keep using those switches or moving them
>> in the breadcrumb ?
>>
>> Here is my point of view :
>>
>> The alert bell in the breadcrumb looks more modern that the toggles that
>> we currently have for the watchlist but we have to add a new UIX for the
>> breadcrumb if we want to do that.
>>
>> Therefore, if we keep the same kind of switches in the notification
>> tray, maybe we could profit from this occasion to make them more modern.
>
> Thanks for asking. Here’s my POV:
>
> * I would really like that we don’t add an additional visual cue to the UI.
> We’re already too crowded and we’re trying to reduce the clutter and make it
> as lean as possible.

I do agree that the UI is a bit crowded, but the idea would be to move
the switches of the watchlist in one single bell, so in the end, we gain
one icon and we loose 3 switches.

> * In addition having 2 bells makes it even more complex to understand what is
> doing what for a new user.

I don’t get what you mean, the idea was to have one bell that changes
regarding the context (the idea came from what YouTube does, see
https://pasteboard.co/GEFTyTe.png and https://pasteboard.co/GEFTOzJ.png).

> * I don’t think that users need to know at every moment if the current page
> is being watched or not. I feel it’s perfectly acceptable if this info is
> hidden under one click as it is now in the Alert zone in the top nav bar.

I agree.

> * The on/off bell idea only allows 2 states but doesn’t allow choices such
> as: watching only this page, watching page + children or watching the current
> wiki.

We could display the watch parameters when the user is hovering the bell.