On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Marius Dumitru Florea <
mariusdumitru.flo...@xwiki.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:48 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> vali...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi devs,
> >
> > The purpose of this mail is to decide on some rules for where admin
> related
> > applications should be located. This mail resulted after a discussion
> with
> > Vincent and it was initially started by the proposal to move Menu
> > application inside Administration [1].
> >
> > Some mentions:
> > - Admins should have a central place where they could find all the
> > applications they can use and are intended for them. Having a central
> > location helps discoverability. Administration would be that place.
> >

> > - Applications have configurations and actions. All configurations should
> > be in Administration. If the actions are targeted only to Administrators,
> > they should be listed also in Administration. We will use TABS, one for
> > configuration, one for the actions UI (ex Invitation app). If the actions
> > are targeted also to Users, than this application should be publicly
> > available (ex User Directory).
> >

> I don't think it's that simple. Applications also have entries (data) and
> the person that creates the data is not always the person that decides how
> the data is used. The user that creates the panel, the menu, the tour, the
> color theme, the icon theme, the skin etc. could be a content writer, a
> designer, a developer and not necessarily the administrator. I find it
> strange to have to give administration writes to a designer to allow him to
> create a new color theme.

First of all I want to have all the related apps in one place, and that is
Administration. We should use configurableClass and includes and let the
Admin navigate through all the applications that are needed for him to
configure the wiki. There is no way he would know that he needs to go in
some apps from AppBar, but in the others (like in the case of Menu app).

Now I agree some applications might have other users involved. For that we
have the dedicated spaces. I didn't said that we need to protect Icon
Themes with Admin rights. But from Administration you should be able to
navigate and even better have the UI included there. If someone wants to
create Panels, know where they are and have rights on them, go create them.
So Administration should not be the only UI to manage the entries, but
should incorporate them.

Currently we don't have any link towards IconThemes management, we have no
link / inclusion towards Menus. We have a link towards Panels, but we break
the context when we are navigating there.

Thanks,
Caty