I'd have to take the side of Marshall McLuhan on your point that
"technology is just a tool." Technology is not just a tool. It is a
manifestation of a philosophy and a culture. McLuhan stated that media
technology, such as television, could not help but extend the culture
that created it. The same idea has been restated, refined and reinforced
by numerous other authors like Jerry Mander (cultural genocide by
technology) and Sherry Turkle (coined the term "epistemological
pluralism" to refer to the multiple ways of knowing). The following
paragraph is from McLuhan's 1964 book "Understanding Media":

'In accepting an honorary degree from the University of Notre Dame a few
years ago, General David Sarnoff made this statement: "We are too prone
to make technological instruments the scapegoats for the sins of those
who wield them. The products of modern science are not in themselves
good or bad; it is the way they are used that determines their value."
That is the voice of the current somnambulism. Suppose we were to say,
"Apple pie is in itself neither good nor bad; it is the way it is used
that determines its value." Or, "The smallpox virus is in itself neither
good nor bad; it is the way it is used that determines its value."
Again, "Firearms are in themselves neither good nor bad; it is the way
they are used that determines their value." That is, if the slugs reach
the right people firearms are good. If the TV tube fires the right
ammunition at the right people it is good. I am not being perverse.
There is simply nothing in the Sarnoff statement that will bear
scrutiny, for it ignores the nature of the medium, of any and all media,
in the true Narcissus style of one hypnotized by the amputation and
extension of his own being in a new technical form. General Sarnoff went
on to explain his attitude to the technology of print, saying that it
was true that print caused much trash to circulate, but it had also
disseminated the Bible and the thoughts of seers and philosophers. It
has never occurred to General Sarnoff that any technology could do
anything but add itself on to what we already are.' (p.11)

It is no mistake nor is it a coincidence that HTML is written in English
(as is Java and just about every other machine language I have ever
seen). All technology carries the biases of the creator. I could go on
(and bore everyone to tears) but I will let it rest there.

Kelvin Wong
Department of Computer Science
University of Victoria
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

My Blog on Aboriginal People and Technology
http://nativetech.blogspot.com/