-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Rosen
Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:14 AM
To: The Digital Divide Network discussion group
Subject: Re: [DDN] NAAL points to serious,ongoing adult basic skills problem
in U.S.

Steve,

Forgive me if all this has been discussed on DDN before, and if so please
just point me to the archived messages.  If not, however, could you give
some background on the argument that narrowing the digital divide would
increase adult literacy. Who made this argument?
When?  As someone who has followed adult literacy and technology for the
last decade, somehow I have managed to miss it.

I don't think narrowing the digital divide in itself will necessarily
improve adult literacy in the U.S. or anywhere. Adult literacy -- literally
adults who cannot read well working to improve their basic reading skills --
will increase if more adults are effectively taught to read.  There may be
some methods which use computers (and the
Internet) which may be useful in this process, but I don't follow why one
would think that access to computers and the Internet would by itself result
in increased basic literacy.  With access to a computer and the Internet
those who were already literate could improve their reading comprehension
and fluency by reading more and more challenging materials.  But that might
happen with access to a library or bookstore, too.

David J. Rosen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]