Michael Pitsch points us to the recent report issued by the Children's
Partnership as evidence of the positive impact of technology on education.

It is important to note that the Partnership conducted no research of its
own: the report is a "summary" of the research findings of other, say the
authors of the report.

Here is their summary of the impact of technology on education:

<<Second, Educational Achievement: Various
studies have documented that appropriate use
of technology in an educational context can help
students achieve better grades, increase scores
on standardized tests, increase school attendance,
and improve school behavior. However, often these
results are achieved in conjunction with other
educational elements, such as highly trained
teachers, and therefore it is difficult to measure
the specific impact of the technology itself. There
is also early evidence that technology can have
a particularly significant impact on improved
academic performance among students with lower
grades or from low-income or rural backgrounds.>>

So:

No original research, but a summary of the work of others.

And, as always, an acknowledgment that improvement seems usually associated
with other matters, such as "highly trained teachers, and therefore it is
difficult to measure the specific impact of the technology itself."

Steve Eskow

[EMAIL PROTECTED]