David,

Some of our differences are based on a misunderstanding-always possible in
dialogue of this kind.

I, for one, did not understand that you were relating the NAAL studies
narrowly: as commentary on teaching illiterate adults to read and write.

I am not sure that the NAAL study touches on this matter. I, for one, have
no doubt that the computer can play a useful role in such instruction. For
example: the computer can provide drill-and-practice opportunities for the
new reader .

The findings of the NAAL studies are wider and deeper.

They show that after a decade of insertion of computers by the millions into
our schools and colleges those who leave or graduate from those institutions
are less able to deal with the meanings of complex materials. That is: the
"adults" with graduate degrees, or undergraduate degrees, or several years
of college, or high school graduation now are less able to cope with
complexity than their peers of ten years ago.

And this holds true for those with every level of education.

One would have hoped for some evidence of improvement, however slight..

This suggests, to me at least, that we have to get beyond the mantras and
explanations now current and find new ways to realize the educational
promise of the new technologies.

Or not look to them for "21st century" education.

And not expect much to happen educationally for those now on the wrong side
of the digital divide.

Steve Eskow

[EMAIL PROTECTED]