On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 08:05:58 UTC, renoX wrote:
On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 08:00:09 UTC, w0rp wrote:
I think this is a really interesting argument. Don't write ugly things to get performance. Instead write obviously correct things and then make obvious optimisations.

Bah, except that if you use everywhere big ints, floating point intervals instead of floating points (the former is the correct representation of reals, the latter isn't), normalized strings, the obvious optimisations won't necessarily be enough to avoid being very slow..

Says who? And slow to whom?

1 - Write correct code

2 - Use a profiler, if the code isn't fast enough for the use case being written for

3 - If desired use case isn't there, use the profiler information to improve the specific hotpaths in need of tuning.

I see too many people micro-optimize for nothing.

--
Paulo