Am 16.04.2014 11:05, schrieb Chris:
On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 at 08:21:37 UTC, Bienlein wrote:
On Tuesday, 15 April 2014 at 19:19:00 UTC, Jordi Sayol wrote:
El 11/04/14 12:10, Walter Bright ha escrit:

but hey, now we have D.

Yeah, I like D far better than Java.

+1000

So do I. But for Java there is Hibernate, Hadoop, Cassandra, DI, JSF,
JMS, JTA, SOAP, REST, vert.x, Quartz, web servers, application
servers, various NoSQL-DBs and I don't know what. As you most often
need some of those things in enterprise computing I'm pretty much
bound to Java.

There are a number of job adds for Go developers (see
http://golangprojects.com). Go seems to be a good complement for Ruby,
Python, PHP which are slow and have bad concurrency. Then Go seems to
appeal to companies whose product is some server-side application
(like some cloud offering or PaaS).

I believe D could also play well in this server-side arena like Go.
Maybe with the FiberScheduler developed by Sean Kelly D can also offer
"dead-simple" concurrency and be appealing to developing cloud
solutions or other style of server-side applications for which easy
concurrency is a big plus.

-- Bienlein

I use vibe.d for a small server side application. It's quite fast,
although we haven't tested it on a larger scale yet. On the downside,
vibe.d's API is not quite intuitive, so it takes a while to get used to
it. But that might be down to the fact that it's not easy to write an
intuitive API for the web with all the different bits and pieces that
have different logics to them.

Are there any particular things that you could list from the top of your head? Making thinkgs as clear and simple as possible is one of the prime goals, but sometimes there are unfortunately compromises necessary in the name of performance or safety.