On 07/05/2014 17:42, Johannes Pfau wrote:
Am Wed, 07 May 2014 14:38:32 +0100
schrieb Bruno Medeiros <bruno.do.medeiros+...@gmail.com>:

On 04/05/2014 10:38, Johannes Pfau wrote:
We've just uploaded new binary releases to
http://gdcproject.org/downloads/

## GDC changes ##

As we merged the first parts of Daniel Greens MinGW changes
back into GDC we now also provide initial (automated) MinGW builds.
These builds are mostly unsupported and will likely have many more
bugs than the older releases posted by Daniel so don't expect too
much.

Glad to hear there is some progress here, but are there plans to make
this supported in the future?

Also, what is the difference between Daniel Green's build, and the
native Standard Builds?

Daniels builds apply some more patches, see
https://github.com/venix1/MinGW-GDC for details.
The builds on gdcproject.org use the standard git sources of gdc which
only include the subset of these patches that's necessary to compile &
run a hello world program.

I'm not familiar with the internals of compiler and runtime architecture, but I'm curious, why is is that so many complicated patches are necessary? I understand the D runtime has to access Windows API, correct? But that should all be available in the MinGW target as well, no? Otherwise, what is the difference here when DMD for Windows is compiled, vs when GDC is compiled?

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros