On 06/03/2014 06:51 AM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> On 6/2/2014 5:16 PM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 10:00:17 -0700
>> Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
>> <digitalmars-d-announce@puremagic.com> wrote:
>>> Captioning also helps people who aren't native english speakers.
>> And native English speakers as well. It's not all that infrequent that
>> I end
>> up temporarily turning on subtitles in a movie that I'm watching,
>> because the
>> actor didn't say the line clearly enough.
> Or because somebody in the production studio decided the music and sound
> effects needed to be at least 2x louder than the dialog.

I was about to say the exact same thing. I always have to turn the
volume way down to not blow the roof when some sudden sound effect is
played, but then I can't hear the voice. I even use subtitles for my
native tongue if the movie has a lot of sound effects. I'm having a
really hard time understanding the rationale behind this - is it to
deafen viewers? To show that it's far from reality so people don't get
confused mixing fiction with reality?