On 8/19/14, 1:26 PM, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 8/18/14, 5:23 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On 8/18/2014 7:14 PM, Dicebot wrote:

I also propose to start 2.067 beta branch right now and declare it yet
another bug-fixing release.

Seconded.

Well that's what happened - someone started 2.067. What's the advantage
of doing this? Now we need to worry about master and 2.067 instead of
just master. -- Andrei

That was my doing... I am preparing myself for the next go around. The actual branch will be created on Sunday (24 Aug) for a Monday (0900 PDT) announcement. The beta cycle will run eight weeks following that. On the fourth week (22 Sept) I will transition from beta to RC.

Betas will be release 5 days apart. RCs will be released 3 days apart. If no regression is fixed during that beta/RC window, the window will be extended an additional 3/5 days (as appropriate) until either fixes are received or the review period ends: at which time the final release is prepared and published.

The only thing that will extend the review period is if a regression exiting at the time RC1 is released remains open at the end of the 8 weeks. At that time an additional week will be added to the release cycle to address those specific issues. If they cannot be addressed during that additional week, the cycle will be terminated and the final release published.

All regressions not addressed in the main release will be addressed in point releases. Point releases will be published in 2 week increments following the final release (as warranted).

Starting with 2.066, releases will be maintained for 1 year. Meaning, point releases will be published biweekly (as warranted) for 1 year after a major release. The only changes that will be pushed during point releases are known regressions and ICE.

To pull this off, I absolutely need the community's assistance. Issues must clearly indicate which version affected by a particular regression. A volunteer to help me track and categorize ice and regressions would do wonders.

Also, I need access to publish and upload to the s3 server. I cannot wait around on for files to be synched across servers or web pages to be updated with one word changes before I can take the next step, it is extremely time consuming and deteriorates productivity.

Note: there will normally be a 4 week break between release cycles. When a cycle is extended, the break will be reduced to 3 weeks. This particular cycle will start early because 2.066 ended 5 weeks after the planned release date.

Andrew
            • Re: D... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Suliman via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Suliman via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Suliman via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Idan Arye via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrew Edwards via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: D 2.066 is out... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: D 2.066 is out. En... eles via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: D 2.066 is out. Enjoy! Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce