On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 00:22:33 UTC, Mike wrote:
I have a suggestion for any compiler implementers: How about a talk on how to get started hacking the compiler. Something that may lower the entry barrier and encourage participation.

Some random thoughts:
* General structure of the compiler
* Walk through the data flow: Lexer -> parser -> AST -> backend
* How to add a new compiler switch (e.g. -fnotypeinfo)
* How to add a new attribute (e.g. @notypeinfo)
* What's your workflow for debugging the compiler?
* Pick a bug, and fix it (Live demo)
* Overview of CTFE and how it's implemented
* (I'm sure you can think of more)

I realize there's documentation on the wiki, and some of this was discussed briefly at DConf2013, but there's more that can be done to make it accessible and interesting.

Mike

Sounds like a good subject for Daniel Murphy to talk about. He spent a good hour explaining to me how a linker works in the Aloft bar after most people had retired (thanks for that, Daniel) and he certainly knows dmd extremely well.

I saw this talk from PyCon awhile back and it made me immediately wish there were something like it for dmd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGF3Qu4dUqk

Hastings just steps through the python interpreter attached to
gdb (not live) and explains the structure of CPython as he goes.
It's extremely informative for would-be CPython hackers.

Do we know if the DConf 2015 talks will be recorded?