On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 07:30:22 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 00:22:33 UTC, Mike wrote:
I have a suggestion for any compiler implementers: How about a talk on how to get started hacking the compiler. Something that may lower the entry barrier and encourage participation.

Some random thoughts:
* General structure of the compiler
* Walk through the data flow: Lexer -> parser -> AST -> backend
* How to add a new compiler switch (e.g. -fnotypeinfo)
* How to add a new attribute (e.g. @notypeinfo)
* What's your workflow for debugging the compiler?
* Pick a bug, and fix it (Live demo)
* Overview of CTFE and how it's implemented
* (I'm sure you can think of more)

I realize there's documentation on the wiki, and some of this was discussed briefly at DConf2013, but there's more that can be done to make it accessible and interesting.

Mike

Sounds like a good subject for Daniel Murphy to talk about. He spent a good hour explaining to me how a linker works in the Aloft bar after most people had retired (thanks for that, Daniel) and he certainly knows dmd extremely well.

I second the vote for Daniel, as he seems fairly opinionated online and might make for a good speaker. I didn't even know if he goes to DConf, as he's never given a talk at the recent ones. He could talk about dmdfe's structure and the magicport/ddmd effort would also make for good material.

Do we know if the DConf 2015 talks will be recorded?

Walter said earlier in this thread that they're arranging something, though he's not sure about live-streaming yet.