On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 13:46:11 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2015-01-30 13:50, Chris wrote:

I do understand where the name is coming from, but (as has been pointed out by others already) it offers no clue as to what it is doing. Looking at the name it's anybody's guess what it is. It's easier to remember a tool, if it has a reference to what it's all about, e.g. Cygwin, htod.

Many projects/companies have completely unrelated names to what they do. I'm tired of trying to come up with cleaver names that have some kind of meaning.

What has "Phobos" to do with D or programming? Nothing about "Apple" suggests they sell computers.

I see what you mean, I'm tired of clever backronyms [1] too. However, DStep is not a product or a company like Apple but a tool with a very specific use. If I look for a tool, I prefer it to have what it does in the name, simply because it's easier to find it with a search engine. E.g. if there is a color picker plugin written in JavaScript, it makes sense that it has the words "color" and "picker" or something in the name (JSColorPicker) or so, because that's what you type into the search engine. If someone is wondering if there is an automatic converter form C.h to D, what will s/he type? Probably something like "C to D conversion programming" or "convert C headers/files to D". It's not about aesthetics, it's about being practical. C2D or CtoD (as has been suggested) are the most practical names. "C.hD" would be a nice pun.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym