On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 09:53:34 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, June 05, 2015 09:16:29 sigod via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 01:52:07 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 01:48:20 UTC, Meta wrote:
>> How feasible is it to add code formatting for the web >> interface?
>
> Not sure what you mean. Do you mean syntax highlighting for > D code?
>
> If you mean the rewrapping issues with forum.dlang.org, > those should be fixed now. Code (and other text with hard > line breaks) should be sent and displayed as-is.

How about markdown support? It can have completely client-side implementation.

Remember that the forum software is just a frontend for an nntp server and that others view the content via nntp or via the mailing list.

This just scares off users who doesn't have experience with all this stuff. And I believe now there's much more users, who doesn't even heard of NNTP, than whose who worked with it.

So, it doesn't make any sense to support features that involve anything other than plain text. It would just result in garbage/cruft in the messages for those viewing it elsewhere than the forums.

Markdown in a raw format is very readable. As for me, it's easier to read raw markdown than mix of text and code.

So, while it might be nice to have markdown if we were dealing purely with forum software, we're not, so it doesn't make sense.

I don't see a reason why forum cannot have features on it's own. Especially, when this features won't significantly affect other ways to access the same information.