On Friday, 5 June 2015 at 12:57:23 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
1. People receiving messages through NNTP/mailing lists will not see the formatted Markdown.

That isn't a problem at all.

Although Markdown's goal is to be readable in its plain text source code, it still allows many situations in which the source is misleading or difficult to understand. For example, special characters need to be escaped by a backslash, which can create confusion in the presence of other special characters. (Are they part of the D syntax the user is describing, or something else?) Some syntax such as tables or images can also be not very readable in source form.

I cannot speculate about it without actually trying to implement it.

2. How should we render messages sent by NNTP/mailing-list users?

Why should we?

Do we just assume that they're sending Markdown and render it as such?

Yes. You already do it for quotes.

This can cause the messages to appear broken to forum users.

Yes, it can be a problem. But, first: markdown render should be optional. And second: don't render if you're not sure how to render it.

3. There is no unified standard for Markdown. The original format is not used on major sites today - StackOverflow and GitHub extend the format, and users will expect Markdown with those extensions.

There's always should be a help which explains what supported. Also, I don't think we need _all_ syntax and all possible extensions. Just those which will improve readability.

4. Markdown's formatting for code (leading whitespace) is rather cumbersome

I dislike this syntax too. GitHub's extension:

```[language, optional]
<code in here>
```

Is much better.

, and difficult to use without either visual JavaScript text editors (as on SO) or Markdown extensions (as on GH).

You already have `Save and preview` button.

5. You can't edit posts once sent. This means that if you accidentally messed up the formatting (e.g. you pasted code without padding it with whitespace or surrounding it in ```...``` blocks), you can't go back and edit it now.

I'm aware of that. As I said before: "don't render if you're not sure how to render it".

You see this all the time on StackOverflow (even though it's user-editable) and more importantly on the vibe.d forums. It's pretty ugly

It all depends on actual users. We can't do anything about this.

6. How do we encode that the message is in Markdown in the message's headers?

Again. Why should we? See #2.