On 6/9/15 12:33 PM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 at 19:15:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
The decision stands. Too many obscure choices presented with equal
importance is just a bad user experience.

There is more to this than just user experience.

If you go to file a bug in a large mature project, for example KDE or
Firefox, you'll see that their Bugzilla instances have myriads of
projects, components and subcomponents. There is actually an important
reason for this: each component can have a maintainer, who will be
notified and automatically assigned to the bug. If a maintainer resigns,
his components can be divided among others.

A good point to keep in mind for the future. Until now we had a fragmentation that served nobody and was a net negative. Culling that is an improvement.

I have long thought that we should encourage "ownership" of parts of
Phobos (and the project as a whole). For example, I'm interested in
receiving bug reports and reviewing PRs concerning std.file and
std.process (but not e.g. std.algorithm). Bugzilla has the capability of
automatically choosing an assignee for the respective component, we
would just need to configure it.

I think that's awesome. I'd say let's chunk Phobos into subcomponents once we have, say, five folks who want to chip in. For now we just need an ombudsman to dispatch all Phobos issues to... well, to the up to four folks who will sign up until that :o).

Andrei