On Thursday, October 15, 2015 14:51:58 Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d-announce
wrote:
> BTW: Is there a reason why the code is GPL licensed? I understand that
> people might want to use more restrictive licenses, but isn't LGPL a
> better replacement for GPL when writing library code? Doesn't the GPL
> force everybody _using_ fast.json to also use the GPL license?
>
> See: http://stackoverflow.com/a/10179181/471401

I think that you might be able to link code with various other compatible,
open source licenses against it, but you definitely can't link any
proprietary code aganist it. GPL really makes more sense for programs than
for libraries for precisely that reason. And most D libraries are likely to
be Boost licensed, since that's the license used by Phobos and generally
favored by the D community. There's nothing wrong with releasing a library
under the GPL if you really want to, but it seriously limits its usefulness.

- Jonathan M Davis