On 10/16/15 11:07 AM, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Friday, 16 October 2015 at 12:53:09 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
No, you cannot link against GPL library without making your code also
GPL. "Services" I don't think have anything to do with this, we are
talking about binary linking.

Yes, you can. GPL is a copyright license which says that if you legally
obtain a copy of an executable then you also have the right to the
source code and the right to make copies. If you don't hand out an
executable then there are no obligations at all, for obvious reasons.

You certainly can link with it, and then your code becomes GPL. you don't have to distribute the binary, but it's still now GPL. The question is, can you link a proprietary licensed piece of software against GPL, while having the proprietary software retain its license, and the answer is no.

If you want to say GPL is fine if you only want to provide your software as a service, then that is not an answer to the question. Your software is effectively GPL, but you don't have to distribute the source because you didn't distribute the binary. However, you would have no recourse if you mistakenly provided the binary to someone. Ever. This is a poison pill risk that most companies will not swallow. Please give me a json library that's 10% slower and won't ruin my entire business, thanks.

-Steve
          • Re: Faste... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Faste... Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Faste... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • ... Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: Fastest JSON parser in... Per Nordlöw via Digitalmars-d-announce