On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 at 19:22:33 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
We release a brief Vision document summarizing the main goals we plan to pursue in the coming six months. This half we are focusing on three things: safety, lifetime management, and static introspection.

https://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2017H1

Andrei

quote from the document:

Redoing compiler code into lowerings and __traits-based introspection that leverage client code, thus moving compiler smarts into simpler library facilities

To simplify introspection with library traits that use the compiler "__traits()" someone has to remove the restrictions related to protection attributes. This is not a new topic. Without this, the new library traits won't work well and people won't use them.