On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 22:15:33 UTC, Wulfklaue wrote:
On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 12:28:47 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
Perhaps there will be scope for renaming if/when this also includes graphics when either OpenCL is merged into the Vulkan API or Petar Kirov gets Vulkan SPIRV generation going on LLVM, but for now the name stays.

People who GPU program are indeed a small group. But you do NOT entice other people to try it, when they do not even know a language has this feature set. And this comes down to marketing.

Lets post "D has DCompute" or "D has D-GPU"... on Reddit, ycombinator and other forum or news site.

What do you think people will more likely click on?

So you don't post either of those titles and instead post "D has DCompute: Native heterogeneous computing on GPUs and more, hassle free!"

And so what if people start a big discussion about the name. If only 10% of those people come to the D site from a either language, its a instant success. Positive or negative marketing is a win-win in this case.

For this discussion it is not the case, I haven't seen any new names.
So (everybody) please discontinue derailing this thread.

My advice to Walter is to hire a actual marketing person that can help focus resources and ideas.

Perhaps that is a good idea, but it is not for me to decide. For my part in marketing I plan to give a talk/workshop at IWOCL just after DConf next may.

              • R... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: D... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Wulfklaue via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: D... Manu via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: D... solidstate1991 via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... Nicholas Wilson via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: DCompute is no... piotrklos via Digitalmars-d-announce
  • Re: DCompute is now in the ... bioinfornatics via Digitalmars-d-announce