On Wednesday, 31 May 2017 at 12:28:47 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

I am more inclined to be persuaded by the fact that everybody that has actually done GPU programming has said that it makes sense to them.

It would be a mistake to judge that on the basis of those posting in this forum. I've done some GPU work, but "compute" doesn't mean anything to me. The R task view for HPC lists a bunch of GPU packages, none of which use "compute" in the name: https://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

I've also used PyCUDA and PyOpenCL, and am aware of PyMagma, none of which refer to "compute".

But can we please reduce the bike shedding

Marketing is only bike shedding if you don't care how many people make use of your work.