On Friday, 14 July 2017 at 04:47:24 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
On 14/07/2017 1:41 AM, Vitor Rozsas wrote:
Hmmm... But how would a criminal post be deleted or removed?
Even if decentralized, govs could forbid the use of it (specially having a server of this social media), considering that it's database could contain child pornography (undeletable child pornography - really bad).

But it doesn't matter, I have other projects to invest my money on D.

I will post the links soon.

Anyway its just silly to go for removal of servers. The overhead is far too great. Our compression algo's can't back it up. You'll be talking terabytes just to store a few 'websites' soon enough.

Nah, anyway decentralized != anonymous. Even in Tor there are servers.

What we need isn't a decentralized http replacement. What we need is a decentralized dns with some form of filters available.

What about a decentralized cryptocurrency (like bitcoin) but instead of the blockchain having transactions recorded on it, it could have something lighter... like a list of coins IDs ("cents", actually) and their owners, like:

1 = Vitor
2 = Vitor
3 = Vitor
4 = Leonard
[...]

(cents 1, 2, 3 belong to Vitor and cent 4 belong to Leonard, and so on...). A "map" (C++) or associative array (D) with the ID of the cent (key) and owner (value) or opposite, if necessary.

Is this even possible? Please consider that I don't know a lot about cryptography. And I have no idea of whether this is feasible with D or with any language at all, so if I'm speaking nonsensic things, just tell me. But I think it would be lighter than store all transactions from the very first one. I just don't know if this is doable; cryptocurrencies have a lot of security measures to avoid transferring money that doesn't exist, money that isn't yours, and so on, to confirm the transaction...

Wouldn't it be easier? All the cents should have a first owner though... one that would sell to resellers, or just give away to random people.

That way, the blockchain would have a fixed size, forever. Lighter than all that expensive mining stuff (that in my country is impossible - lack of decent machines, pricey electric energy), and the worst part: downloading 100+ GigaBytes because blockchain stores transactions, this database gets bigger and bigger... List of cents is limited; it's fixed. But instead of 18 Million that bitcoin uses, I was thinking of trillions (so the value of the currency is more aligned to fiat currencies that we already know and are used to).

So... tell me. Is this possible? *Is this safe*? Is anybody going to be stolen if blockchain stores a map of cent id + owner instead of a bunch of transactions?

I know that it would be lighter for CPUs of users and servers as well, and to the disk, that's for sure.

Waiting for replies.
  • Hiring D programmers (with ... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Hiring D programme... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
      • Re: Hiring D progr... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
        • Re: Hiring D p... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
          • Re: Hiring... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
            • Re: H... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
              • R... wigy via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Vitor Rozsas via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... Martin Tschierschke via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... rikki cattermole via Digitalmars-d-announce
                • ... aberba via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Hiring D programme... 9il via Digitalmars-d-announce
    • Re: Hiring D programme... Seb via Digitalmars-d-announce