On Saturday, 22 July 2017 at 21:22:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
Putting the entire set in D (C compiler, C++ compiler, C preprocessor, htod converter, optimizer, code generator) makes the whole thing much more tractable, and who knows what we will be able to do with it!

One thing to watch out for, though, is that if the D frontend starts using features introduced after its conversion to D, we are going to need to explicitly document the bootstrapping path (right now it's still simple enough with `C++ compiler -> D compiler with 2.068.2 frontend (e.g. ldc 0.17.x) -> Latest D compiler`).