On Monday, 25 December 2017 at 17:03:37 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
I've been writing this article since August, and finally found some time to finish it:

http://johanengelen.github.io/ldc/2017/12/25/LDC-and-AddressSanitizer.html

"LDC comes with improved support for Address Sanitizer since the 1.4.0 release. Address Sanitizer (ASan) is a runtime memory write/read checker that helps discover and locate memory access bugs. ASan is part of the official LDC release binaries; to use it you must build with -fsanitize=address. In this article, I’ll explain how to use ASan, what kind of bugs it can find, and what bugs it will be able to find in the (hopefully near) future."

Nice article. Main question / comment is about the need for blacklisting D standard libraries (druntime/phobos). If someone wants to try ASan out on their own code, can they start by ignoring the D standard libraries? And, for programs that use druntime/phobos, will this be effective? If I understand the post, the answer is "yes", but I think it could be more explicit.

Second comment is related - If the reader was to try instrumenting druntime/phobos along with their own code, how much effort should be expected to correctly blacklist druntime/phobos code? Would many programs have smooth sailing if they took the blacklist published in the post? Or is this early stage enough that some real effort should be expected?

Also, if the blacklist file in the post represents a meaningful starting point, perhaps it makes sense to check it in and distribute it. This would provide a place for contributors to start making improvements.