On 3/6/18 3:50 PM, Jack Stouffer wrote:
On Tuesday, 6 March 2018 at 12:21:41 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
That being said, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to have std.experimental be in its own repository. This allows selection of the dependency on std.experimental separate from phobos. It still would be an "official" dlang package, and might even be included in the distribution (the latest version anyway), and docs included on the website. But if needed, you could have your dub package depend on a prior version.

The entire concept needs a reexamination IMO. I just checked the git history, and not one module has graduated from std.experimental to mainline Phobos since the idea's inception in 2014. While it's possible that none of the modules are ready, logger has been there for four years now. I was against changing how experimental is handled in the past, but I recently have started to rethink how we promote modules.

Promotion of modules is a different discussion. I think std.experimental is fine as a project, but just needs to be decoupled with needed compiler and stable library fixes.

To put it in terms of Atila's reference, it's like we coupled the breaking changes of boost-experimental with critical clang fixes.

Also, if you'll allow me to have crazy ideas for a moment, one wonders why we shouldn't just release Phobos itself through dub? Rust makes people use their build tool, why not us?

No. Phobos has a reasonably stable API, and we need to keep it that way. There are too many coupled changes with Phobos and DMD that I think we would be asking for a mountain of "Why is this version of Phobos not compatible with this version of DMD?" bugs.

-Steve