On Monday, 23 July 2018 at 10:24:14 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:

But this BetterC minimalistic standard library (allocations, arrays, strings, slices, maps) is something which can be reused by many similar hardware-level projects.

This is a project on its own, and as I said, I think it should better be provided to the candidate so he can use his development time on developing the rasterizer, and, if there is enough time, a minimalistic nuklear-like gui system over it to demonstrate its performance and usefulness.

Indeed, having to port the druntime to new hardware is definitely not in scope. I can't anticipate what features of the language the developer will employ, but as long as they stay within the -betterC subset of the language, I think it will be portable to something like that used in https://github.com/JinShil/stm32f42_discovery_demo

Even if it isn't portable, if it compiles and runs in -betterC on a PC, it will still be an excellent foundation to build on, and I'd still call it a success.

Mike