On Monday, 14 January 2019 at 07:50:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/13/2019 9:31 PM, Paul Backus wrote:
Scheme is probably the language that takes this idea of a minimal "core language" with powerful metaprogramming facilities the furthest, and the result is a fragmented ecosystem that makes writing portable, non-trivial programs close to impossible. (See "The Lisp Curse" [1].)

When something like an object system is made part of the language (or at the very least, the standard library), it becomes a focal point [2] that the community can coordinate around. Due to the diverse, distributed nature of any programming-language community, trying to coordinate through explicit communication is not really a viable option, so having these kinds of focal points is very important if we want to be able to work together on anything.

[1] http://winestockwebdesign.com/Essays/Lisp_Curse.html
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_point_(game_theory)

Interesting cites, which provide a basis for why I've opposed AST macros, and why Ddoc and unittest are builtin (and a few other things).

Also, before std::string came along in C++, everyone invented their own string class, and as a result, nobody could share code.

This is exactly the argument to get a database driver (mysql,postgres...) and probably a webserver in std.

But to avoid getting std.lib to big, the D Foundation might adopt some third party libs as core libraries, so they get maintained within the D Foundation Git account to make them somehow official.

We are now approaching the 1500 Dub package, and the ecosystem becomes more and more complex.

(https://code.dlang.org/ 1482 packages: The search for mysql now returns 23 packages. Please tell me which to use for the back end, of your own vibe.d app. I give you 5 minutes...:-)
Regards mt.