On Wednesday, 24 June 2020 at 18:53:34 UTC, matheus wrote:
Hi, I currently use D for small CLI/Batch apps, before that I used to program in C.

Despite of using D I usually program like C but with the advantage of: GC, AA, CTFE and a few classes here and there.

As we can see there are a lot of old classic games source available like: DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, Red Alert and most them written originally in C/C++.

What I'd like to know from the experts is: What would be the advantage of using D to port such games?

Thanks in advance,

Matheus.

The advantage is that you have a fun programming project and a challenge. And you don't have to worry about being stuck on the code or art side, because all those are ready for you, you just have to rewrite it in a different language.

Also, when finished, it makes for a fun blog post about challenges of porting C/C++ code to D and which parts were simplified using D features.

I was thinking of porting something like Doom to D also (DooD?), but never got around to it. I guess one could start with a betterC port too.