On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 22:28:59 UTC, Andrew wrote:
I don't really understand why there are so many .d files that just seem to wrap standard os stuff - why not just use the standard installed C headers and avoid all of this overhead that needs maintaining ?

Those .d files are essentially just that - ported C headers so that you don't need to declared these functions manually. You can easily re-generated those from actual system C headers using tool like https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/dstep

Interestingly the gcc Go compiler that is also included with gcc 4.8 built and installed first time so I'm rather tempted to just to give up with D as this point after a valiant battle for the last few days.

Unfortunately, this is an area where difference in developer count is really notable. It is a dead end - support for more exotic platforms like ARM is lacking because there too few people who need it and new bypassers are scared from further investigation because of lacking support. There is hardly anything we can do until some volunteer will appear who is willing to champion this.