On 13/07/14 19:24, Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
Wrong. There are things which are simply bad ideas.

I think that we can take it as read that I meant, "Any reasonable stylistic choice." Of course, YMMV about what counts as "reasonable", but most of the things that people fuss over are fairly minimal differences in practice.

I.e. you see where everything is.

Compactness can also be a disadvantage. Some people have a preference for a hyper-compact style where there are minimal blank lines in the code; I accept their goal as valid, and I think there are cases where it can surely help, but it's not one that I personally find very helpful.

In fact, one reason that I've come to appreciate standard D style is the way in which separate opening braces actually help to space out the code into more obvious "paragraphs".

This is the only argument I have heard in favour of doing this, but it is not
actually valid. This critique might apply to Lisp style.

Well, I personally find that separate-line opening braces do make it easier to line up the opening and ending of scopes. If it doesn't do anything for you, that's a shame; but it doesn't make the argument invalid.