On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 21:16:08 UTC, Stanislav Blinov wrote:
On Saturday, 3 June 2017 at 20:53:05 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:

Quite, but if you backtrack to my initial statement, it was about ptr not being/becoming null (implicitly) in the first place, which *might* allow you to skip the check (if you don't set it to null via external means, such as memcpy, move, etc).

It's only true as long as you have full control of the source.
Once you're using libraries and generic code, it's possible that it's out of your hands:

It's always true, because I explicitly wrote *might*, not *will*, to indicate that it depends on your use case. Your example is a common use case where you can't skip the check.