On 09/23/2015 11:45 AM, John Colvin wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting some of these people. Some will be
following fashions, but many will be simply not wanting to put time and
effort in to something that they're not convinced is going to work out
in the long run.

That amounts to the same thing, just indirectly: It's a myopic approach that involves a failure to understand the basic dynamics of plain old self-fulfilling prophecies:

"Things succeed/fail BECAUSE people LIKE ME use it or pass on it. Therefore, we should make that choice based on whether it's WORTHY. Because if instead, we base it on whether we think OTHER people will/won't use it (ESPECIALLY if THOSE people are ALSO going to be choosing based on the same 'what is everyone else going to pick?' crystal ball), then we're all chasing each other's tails and the result boils down to randomness (at best) or more likely, becomes predominantly influenced by superficial factors and biased parties."

It's a very, very basic line of logic, especially for people in a profession that's so fundamentally rooted in exactly such logical reasoning.