On Sunday, 27 September 2015 at 03:34:31 UTC, Manu wrote:
On 24 September 2015 at 01:09, Nick Sabalausky via
Popularity has no place in decision making here.

Sadly, false.

As much as it would be nice to not have decisions based on popularity, we _do_ want D to be popular regardless, and while we want to be technically superior, we don't actually need to convince people on those grounds. We just need to convince them. If that means convincing many of the better programmers via technical merit and many of the rest via pure popularity, then so be it. There's no reason why we can't succeed on both fronts, though it's arguably easier to make headway based on technical merit, since that's easier to control and doesn't require becoming popular first.

- Jonathan M Davis