On Thursday, 8 February 2018 at 15:29:08 UTC, Ralph Doncaster wrote:
On Wednesday, 7 February 2018 at 22:31:58 UTC, John Gabriele wrote:
I'm not sure how long dub has been around, but having an easy to use CPAN-alike (online module repo) is HUGE. Dub is great for sales. The better dub and the repo gets, the more attractive D gets.

I completely agree that the availability of libraries is a huge factor. I almost gave up on D because of the limited amount of 3rd party libs.
I think just improving the search function would help.
http://code.dlang.org/search?q=keccak
Comes up with nothing, so I started porting a sha3/keccak lib from C to D. Then someone pointed out botan has sha3 support, which can be found if you search for "crypto"
http://code.dlang.org/search?q=crypto

i think it is the ecosystem. we do not have a better ecosystem to offer and accommodate c++ developers. by ecosystem i mean, things that take the pain out of a c++ developer and make them solely focus on their code. we don't have an IDE, we don't have one perfect, portable GUI library, we don't have a better build system, we don't even have a migration guide for them. (d for c++ developers page does not count) we only have a better and easier language. that's all we have. otherwise i do not think c++ developers are sadomasochists that would do this torture to themselves. :)