On 13/02/2018 11:11 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
On Tue, 2018-02-13 at 10:45 +0000, aberba via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
I wish complaints about Dub would include exactly what was
impossible with it. There's no reason to throw dub away and start
something new. If one can run cmake before build in dub,  then a
lot is possible. Those edge cases can be ironed out.

I think there have been many actual complaints made in detail in this
thread.

There is always a reason to replace, because you can build on what has
gone before and do better. CMake is part of the problem.

Dub fulfills all my use cases so I don't complain. Those here
with not much issue with dub will also not complain. And that
does not make it a minority opinion without stats to prove dub
usage.

No problem, and I guess you'll be happy to carry on using Dub after
something new and better appears. In the case of Maven → Gradle, many
people still use Maven even though it is provably inferior to Gradle
simply because they cannot be bothered to change.

At point, dub will likely remain the default package management
tool. The build functionality can be improved for those who deal
with such stuff often. Manpower is what remains.
[…]

Why should Dub remain the one true way? Just because it was the first
doesn't mean it is the best.

It wasn't the first and it was the best in over a 10 year period.