Well ROS is going to ruin digital operation if it catches on. It has already
ruined Olivia on 20m. Just one transmission using this selfish wideband mode
wipes out three frequencies that were used by Olivia. It is causing
interference to packet networks as well. And, if the number of members of the
ROS Yahoo group is anything to go by, there are currently only around 124
users. That's a lot of disruption being caused by very few people.

I don't care whether it is spread spectrum or not. You cannot accommodate a
reasonable number of users each requiring a 2.2kHz clear channel within the
current allocation for digital modes. That is the only reason for my objection
to it.

I do not see the point in experimenting with a mode that requires more spectrum
space than exists to accommodate the expected number of users. If it is a
success, and everyone wants to use it, then there will not be enough
frequencies for them and it will be chaos. So we all have to hope it is a
failure, otherwise it will be impossible for any of us to use anything else,
except possibly PSK31 which uses little enough space that hopefully the ROSers
can be persuaded to keep clear of it.

I am not against new modes but surely they should be developed taking account
of the circumstances that they will be used under. It doesn't seem too likely
to me that someone who was an experienced HF digital operator would consider
developing a mode for HF use that required a 2.2kHz channel because they would
understand that it isn't practical. It really doesn't matter what the possible
benefits are if it is impossible for more than a handful of people to use it.

Julian, G4ILO