I can't recall the exact date, but it was almost a year ago. I stumbled
across a post John had made on someone else's Javascript blog describing the
chained function approach, which led me to his own blog post that had the
beginnings of what was to become jQuery.
http://ejohn.org/blog/selectors-in-javascript/

I was just starting to use Behaviour at the time; all of the frameworks
seemed way too bloated. When I saw the jQuery syntax I was blown away. It
reminded me of Paul Graham's essay "Succinctness is Power" which does a
better job than I could ever do of putting jQuery's advantage into words.
http://www.paulgraham.com/power.html