I agree with a lot of what you are saying.  The jQuery site, though a
useful tool is a little dull and as you say doesn't tell you how
"fresh" things are.

I think a leaf could be taken out of what some other communities on
the web do and look at making the jQuery homepage more like a
community hub, and less like a "this is jQuery" page.

A few additional ideas to what I had before:

Have a "today" box telling you all the freshest information such as
current build of jQuery, latest/updated plugins, links to tutorials
for beginners on the front page, clearer nacvigation.

Tane
http://digitalspaghetti.me.uk