First, determine if this is even worth your time and effort. You
mention that it's a tight deadline with a small budget; I'd be
inclined to satisfy the client's request.

That being said, I would schedule a meeting with the stakeholder and
respectfully make your case. Frame it in such a way that lets the
boss know you are aware and understand the directive being asked of
you. Provide rationale (again, respectfully) using any specifics you
have. Listen to the reasoning behind his/her wishes.

It's a tricky balance, Björn. In the end, do what's best for a
harmonious client-vendor relationship. Good luck with it.

http://gamma.ixda.org/discuss?post=22264