Sometimes, when a client seems unaccountably stubborn about including a
design element, there's a good reason for it, but the client can't
articulate why. And resistance from the designer just makes the client shut
down in frustration, so we're left with a false sense that the client is
being unreasonable.

It can be quite challenging for some non-designers to talk about design,
period. It can make a stakeholder feel very out of their depth and
uncomfortable.

Our clients know their businesses far better than we can; it's our job to
make sure that our clients understand that we're being responsive and
listening to their concerns.

Corollary: it's much easier to talk a client out of plainly awful design
decisions when the client trusts you and understands that you've taken their
input seriously.

-Anne

Anne Hjortshoj | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.annehj.com