On what grounds?  As has been mentioned a couple times (), the success
of the iPod hinged on the fact that people already had huge digital
music collections and no convenient way to play them... the Kindle is
trying to start a market that doesn't really exist yet... and if you
already have a collection of digital books they probably aren't
supported by Kindle anyway due to it's DRM scheme and proprietary file
format.

The other issue is that a book purchased in Kindle format can't be
used anywhere else... if you're Kindle dies or Amazon stops supporting
it you're out of luck.  That library is useless.  At least with the
iPod I can use plain MP3s or buy AACs and burn them to a non-DRM CD
for later use.

To me that's the biggest difference between the iPod and Kindle.. and
the reason why the Kindle is not going to take off like the iPod did.

--
Matt Nish-Lapidus
email/gtalk: [EMAIL PROTECTED]