Robert: "Every time another section of the form is revealed, your
heart sinks a little more. "

I agree. Thats the point I was hoping to explore a little.  I come
across people that both like of loathe the magical appearing form
divs.  Is the 'heart sinking' the designer in us or a proper usability
issue?

I personally dislike them but havent nailed down a solid usability
argument against the design Robert highlighted.

Lets put aside the fact that with a little thought the online form
could be as succinct as the pdf.  Let say the choice was a single ever
expanding page or a multistage wizard (right xor choice??? another
option?) then is a multistage wizard not conceptually the same thing -
no real end in sight except some arbitrary progress bar?

for the record I prefer to create wizards, but it would be great to
have a solid argument for them to back up my choices.

thanks for your thoughts on this folks - regards , pauric