The criteria used by the American Psychiatric Association's
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual are more valid (but not entirely
valid, I'm afraid, even according to the professionals who use it
every day). Like Murli's emphasis on the difference between states
and traits, the DSM lists criteria for the various diagnoses and
emphasizes both the number of criteria and their *persistence over
time*.

Lay people often overlook the time element. On any given day, I could
be diagnosed with half the disorders listed if we threw out the
requirement of persistent symptoms!