The toughest thing about Pankaj's question is that he forces me to choose
just one per group - managers and line engineers. As many of you know - my
UX/IxD/IA library darn near competely fills my home office - and it's kinda
of sad in a geeky way.
For engineers - a fun, funny book that at least argues for UCD to the
engineer who doesn't know what it is - David Platt's "Why Software Sucks."

Because I am re-reading it right now - I think the most eloquent - to the
point of poetic - articulation of interaction design (IxD) is Jon Kolko's
book "Thoughts on Interaction Design," -- just the first chapter is worth
the price of admission. I was almost brought to tears reading it - I kid you
not - this is the Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet," manifesto for interaction
designers. If you haven't bought and read this gem - go now, young lads and
order it.

- Will

On Feb 5, 2008 10:07 AM, subimage interactive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Looks like an interesting book...Wishlisted (did I just invent a new
> verb?)
> on my Amazon page...
>
> On Feb 5, 2008 6:45 AM, Peter Merholz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > <self-promotion>
> > Why, _SUBJECT TO CHANGE: Creating Great Products & Services for an
> > Uncertain World_, by me and a few colleagues at Adaptive Path. It's
> > written for executives and technologists to help them understand the
> > contribution that user research, design, and systems thinking offers.
> > http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0596516835/adaptivepat07-20/ref=nosim/
> > </self-promotion>
> >
> > If not our book, my One Book is probably still THE DESIGN OF EVERYDAY
> > THINGS.
> > --peter
> >
> > On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Pankaj Chawla wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Which is that one book on Design/UX/IxD/Usability/etc etc that you
> > > will like to gift to your engineering folks in management as a new
> > > year gift that will make them understand its need and value. On
> > > similar lines which is that one book that you will like to gift the
> > > hands-on engineering folks to make them understand that thinking about
> > > user needs is equally important as thinking about the algorithms.
> > >
> > > Mind you only one book for each that will create the maximum impact on
> > > their thought process :-)
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Pankaj

> --
> --------------------
> seth at subimage interactive
> -----
> http://sublog.subimage.com
> -----
> Cashboard - Estimates, invoices, and time tracking software - for free!
> http://www.getcashboard.com
> -----
> Substruct - Open source RoR e-commerce software.
> http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct

~ will

"No matter how beautiful,
no matter how cool your interface,
it would be better if there were less of it."
Alan Cooper
-
"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"
will evans
user experience architect
[EMAIL PROTECTED]